How to deep clean your kitchen like a professional housekeeping service
A kitchen is the heart of the home. This place takes care of the nutritional needs of the family and gives them energy, hence according to Fengshui, is the most important area of the house. A dirty kitchen brings negative energy into the house that saps energy, dulls your mood, and affects work and family life. It is, therefore, essential to keep the kitchen spotlessly clean.
A kitchen needs deep cleaning once every 3 months at least. With a little know-how and some genius tips and tricks, you can do it yourself to render your kitchen squeaky, sparkly clean.
Here’s a step by step guide to giving your kitchen a new life:
- Start with the pantry first. Chuck away all the expired and rotten items. Some spices and baking staples tend to lose their potency over time. If they do, now is the time to get rid of them.
- Next wipe off all the moulds and spills with an appropriate cleanser. Wood- vinegar, stainless steel- commercial dish washing liquid, glass- glass cleaner, and marble- strictly use pH balanced products that are specifically designed to be used on marble.
- Next shift your focus to your cook top. Caked-on food and stubborn gunk, makes the stove look disgusting. Gently scrape the gunk with a razor blade, (being careful not to scratch the surface) and then clean with a cleaning pad soaked in a dishwashing solution till it is sparkling. To clean particularly mucky and difficult burners, seal them along with ammonia in a plastic bag overnight and wipe it off with a damp cloth in the morning. Be careful not to use a heavy duty scouring pad on coated grates. Clean the resultant debris and residue with a soft damp sponge. Gently remove the control knobs and soak them in warm water mixed with lemon juice. This will loosen up the dirt in the knobs making cleaning it and easy peasy job. Make sure you dry them thoroughly before putting them back in place.
- To clean the oven, first remove all the racks and soak them in warm soapy water for loosen up the any stubborn muck. Now mix baking soda and salt 3:1 in a bowl. Add water to the mixture to make a thick paste. Take this paste and apply it throughout the interior cavity of the oven (make sure you cover any bare metal or clog opening with foil before beginning to apply) and leave it to sit overnight. When you will wipe the oven the following morning, you will be amazed. Scrub the outer body of the oven with dishwashing detergent infused hot water and you are set.
- To clean the refrigerator, first empty it out entirely. Then, remove the glass shelves, drawers and separators (and wash them separately). Make a solution of vinegar, and baking soda and wipe the interiors thoroughly. Leave an open container of baking soda in the fridge to absorb all the smells. Wipe the refrigerator exterior with mild dishwashing liquid and a soft cloth. Dust and wipe the condenser coils.
- To clean your countertops, use vinegar solution to get it squeaky clean. If you have natural stone countertops, you want to avoid using vinegar else it may ruin its shine. Mild detergent soap or stone specific cleaning solutions can be used on natural stones.
- Next, move on to your cabinets. Take out all your containers and packets out. Wipe the shelves thoroughly with warm soapy water. Pat the shelves dry with absorbent towel. You want to be doubly sure the shelves are completely dry before you put the stuff back in.
Tip: Line the shelf with a cork liner to provide cushioning to glassware while preventing stains.
- Wipe all the hinges, handles, pulls and fittings with a damp sponge and follow it with absorbent towel to prevent white streaks forming.
- Then clean the faucet and the sink. If you have a ceramic sink, clean it with barkeeper’s friend for a perfect clean. If your siink is made of stainless steel, the good old vinegar with salt will work just fine. The crevices around the faucet can be cleaned with a soft toothbrush after it has been made to sit with vinegar for a while.
- Clear your clogged drains by flushing them with boiling water and following it up with a drain cleaning powder or a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda 2:1.
- To clean your dishwasher, run a cycle after putting 4 teaspoons of citric acid crystal in the detergent cup to get rid of stains on the interior. The exterior can be wiped with a damp soft cloth.
- To clean your blender/grinder, run a piece of bread or raw rice through it to pick up lingering particles of food and oil. Then run a tablespoon of baking soda and wipe clean.
- To have your garbage can immaculately clean, mix 2 cups of chlorine bleach, 3 litres of water and one tablespoon of dishwashing detergent and pour the mixture in the can. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes before you scrub it with a long handled scrubber and rinse it thoroughly.
- Replace old towels with fresh ones, spray a little lemon water around your kitchen and rejoice in the fact that you have a sparkly clean kitchen.
Cleaning out the house although essential, can be extremely tiring and time-consuming. If you cannot afford the time or the effort, hiring a housekeeping service is the best thing you can do. Housekeeping service personnel have cleaning solutions and equipment that do the job both more quickly and more efficiently. A few housekeeping services in Hyderabad even offer options like basic cleaning and deep cleaning and all, so you can decide what will suit you best.